View Single Post
Old 07-12-2009, 01:23 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default happy for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsh1284 View Post
Hello posters .. I'm here because there seems to be a lot of experience when it comes to disability matters here. More specifically though .. I was awarded a fully favorable decision at my hearing on May 29th! I got my letter describing exactly how they came to this decision and it says I will get SSDI and SSI benefits along with insurance benefits and all the other goodies. Well of course it's taken a while .. and I'm just wondering what's next. My lawyer was great but now that the hard part is over he doesn't seem to like calling me back anymore .. heh. So I know it's a 60 day waiting period until I get a letter describing exactly what I'm going to get paid .. and 20 of those days are up now .. so what can I expect in terms of when I'll finally start getting my benefits, my back-pay etc?

Also, I have a bigger question as well. I am looking at a LOT of back-pay. My date of onset goes back three years - so I'll get paid (ssdi) going back to THEN. Well, what has me worried though is the fact that I've discovered you can't have over $2000 dollars in assets if you want to keep your SSI. I don't want to just blow thousands of dollars. Furthermore, I don't even know how I could legally even DO that without having more than $2000 in assets accumulated FROM SPENDING the money... LOL. So what's the deal with that? How can I keep my money (I want to save it and buy a house with it down the road) .. and not lose my SSI benefits?

Thanks so much for your help in advance!
Steve H

Wish I could offer help but I'm a newbie..congrats, though, on your success and your back pay! Hope it all works out for you.

Kathleen
cochrankat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote