View Single Post
Old 07-12-2009, 02:08 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I don't know if this will help, but this is my work story...

Pain meds didn't really help me... So I don't take a pain med daily. I do take topamax, norvasc, namenda, and use lidocain patches. I have tramadol, vicoden, vicuprophen, tylenol 3, duragesic patches if I feel I need it. But, they don't help that much so I usually don't use them.

I hurt if I am at home, or at work.

I have not stopped working. I have not missed any work due to RSD. I work 2nd shift, so even days I had Stellate Ganglion blocks, I had them early in the morning, and went to work that night. Working 2nd, I can go to doctors, therapy, massage, etc. in the mornings - even make the 3 hour drive to the Cleveland Clinic and get back before work. It amazes me I have had this crud since 2001 and not missed work because of it. Well... I guess I did miss a few weeks years ago, when I broke my foot and was on crutches and couldn't work... but as soon as I could I was right back at it.

I won't say it's easy. I might be better if I didn't work. But, I am a single person, and my elderly Mom lives with me. I don't have any other income. I don't know how I would get by if I didn't work, or how I would get the meds I need. I have been terrified in this economy that I would lose my job, because I don't think I could get another one doing what I do.

I work at a printing company, and I do computer graphics. It's creative, although deadlines can be very stressful. I've been in the printing industry for 30 years.

I have RSD in one calf, both feet, pretty bad in my left shoulder and upper arm, my left hand, my upper half of my back, my neck, part of my head and face. It comes and goes in severity.

I can do a lot of things - but it still hurts. There are days when I sit at my computer with tears streaming down my face as I work, it hurts so much. I'm pretty stubborn though, and like I said, it would hurt that much if I was home or at work, so I figure I may as well work.

Recently I adopted a dog that I am training to be an assistance dog. I used to train dogs in obedience, and so I am able to train her myself. It has been good for me to work with her. Most days I won't need her, but on bad days, she will be very useful. I am not sure yet how my work will feel about me having a service dog. They have been uncooperative about giving me a handicapped spot, so time will tell.

I love my work, and I can do it... so I have tried very hard to stay working. Keeping my mind busy had helped me. If I had to be on my feet, or do something physical.. .well that might be different.

Namenda has helped... I was getting pretty foggy there for a while. Then fmichael here mentioned Namenda. I tried it and found it has helped. I only get about 3 hours sleep a day, although I "rest" a lot more than that. The Namenda has helped a lot with feeling alert and "sharp" again - that RSD has a way of taking away from a person. My job requires quite a bit of math, and a lot of remembering details and quick recall about this job and that job going on press. THe longer I had RSD, the harder it was for me to remember and to figure things out and trouble shoot. The Namenda has really helped that. A side benefit for me is that it seems to make the pain meds more effective when I do take them.

Edited to say I should mention that my RSD was not caused under worker's comp or any accident that I have to worry about approval for treatment etc. By staying employed, I get pretty good coverage of whatever the docs want to try medication wise, or therapy wise.

Good luck to you... and hope you feel better soon.
daylilyfan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
NJsteve (07-13-2009)