View Single Post
Old 07-13-2009, 01:39 AM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default Measuring progress

I am fortunate in having measurements taken for me by Kings College London, the hospital for whom James is cycling round the world. (Although my post has attracted little interest)
Every 6 weeks, I go to KIngs College unmedicated, and they do a series of tests at exactly the same time. First a computer test to measure reaction time. I place each index finger on an electrode, and the TV screen gives a set of random commands, raise right finger, raise left etc.
Then they video me walking up and down the corridor. Then they fix electrodes to my feet, and measure stride length and speed. A low tech test is fastening a series of buttons from large to microscopic, and timing me.
They then fasten my arm to a machine which moves my arm side to side, and measures rigidity. I get blood pressure checked, lying down, standing up and after running down the corridor. (remember I am unmedicated!!)
Height, weight and cogwheel rigidity are measured. I am surprised at how much my height varies, common apparently in a PWP.
There are other tests, but it costs me nothing and gives me an excellent guide to my progression. Thought you may be interested to see what tests the medics use.
Ron