View Single Post
Old 07-13-2009, 10:25 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi. So sorry you have been diagnosed with this, but I want to try to reassure you a little. I developed RSD in my right ankle after surgery following a car accident 3 1/2 years ago. I didn't know I had it for 16 months. I went into full remission while I was pregnant with my 5th child (apparently this is very common), so I thought my injury had healed. Then, about 6 weeks after I had my baby, the pain returned and started to get worse. Long story short, I finally forund a pain management doctor who figured out what is wrong with me. I had two Sympathetic nerve blocks two weeks apart, and the results were used to reach my diagnosis. untfortunately, after the second block, the RSD spread up my right leg, into my knee, and also into a spot on my lower spine (another pm doc told me this is because the nerves that control my ankle are touching the ones in that spot on my spine, so it was an easy jump). HOWEVER, my last nerve block was in November 2007. Since then, I have had NO more spread. My doctor says because I have gone this long, there is a better chance that it will NOT spread anymore than the chance that it will. I am on Neurontin, Ultram, Hydrocodone 10/325, and Cymbalta. I still have way too much breakthrough pain, so it's tough, but at least I don't have it all over my body. It can happen, but there is hope that it won't for you. Stay in touch with your doctor and do what needs to be done to controol your pain, but don't stop living you life becasue you fear injury. With 5 kids, I get lots of injuries, but I try to be as careful as I can and just hope things keep going on the way they are. You can never say anything ALWAYS happens with your body because everyone is different. Hang in there, and have hope. I wish you the best.
amb97 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dew58 (08-22-2009), loretta (07-14-2009), suz66 (02-21-2012)