View Single Post
Old 07-13-2009, 12:30 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnydee View Post
Hello All:

I just had a first visit with a neurologist after my GP referred me for PN. I've had a couple of EMGs in the past, but they came up normal. Is this normal for PN patients, or is it because I didn't have any nerve or muscle damage then?

The new dr. has ordered a MRI of the brain with contrast. I have had spinal MRIs,but not of the brain, and the contrast part is a little scary. Has anyone had this done? If so, what can I expect?

Lastly, he seemed to indicate that PN can be diagnosed with blood tests. I have never heard or read this before. Is this a new technology? He also mentioned lupus. I didn't realize that lupus can be cause of PN? I don't have a rash, but a few of the other symptoms.

Many thanks to all who respond.

I think the blood tests are to rule out some conditions that can cause PN. I had many of them to test for different conditions, including one for lupus. I actually do have rocacea that flares up on my face, but several tests are negative for lupus. The blood work also tests for vitamin deficiency, rheumatoid arthitis, Lyme disease, etc. It also depends on the doctor. I had one neuro that ordered very few blood tests, while another ordered many.
Hope15 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote