View Single Post
Old 07-13-2009, 03:49 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hi....
I was diagnosed with RSD/CRPS in my abdomen & pelvis in October and in my legs in February. Please reassured that RSD/CRPS doesn't always spread ! There is nothing you can really do to stop or prevent it.

The best thing to do is try to get a diagnosis early on and begin treatment as soon as possible. I've heard that a diagnosis within 6 months of the injury gives the best chance of remission and I've seen it myself with my abdominal/pelvic RSD/CRPS.

My abdominal/pelvis was caused by surgical complications last June. Thankfully, my wonderful neurologist-- who'd been treating me primarily for epilepsy and allodynia, picked up on some of my symptoms and immediately said "rsd/cprs". It took me several months to tell him about it-- as I and my GYN thought my pain was lingering post operative pain, but after 2 sets of trigger point injections by my GYN, I decided to ask my neurologist if any nerves ran along my stomache any pelvic-- as I was having nerve pain (allodynia) and that area felt very hot. He made the diagnosis and decided to try and experimental treatment--- Botox injections (along with increasing my Neurontin-- which i also take for epilepsy). I was desperate for pain relief ( living in Japan with no car and had to walk several miles a day, sometimes with a grocery cart full of groceries, etc) It worked. Botox isn't a cure all, but it did help. I went from almost non functioning to functioning . I cried and thanked him !

My legs, were a completely different story. I developed CRPS/RSD in my legs in 2002-ish, but was only recently diagnosed. I've broken both feet and ankles twice, and the most recent break in 2005 made it spreat from my left leg and foot and a bit of my right foot, to all of my right leg as well. I ran the gamut of your pain is from "its just over use" and "its your osteopenia" (yes, I do have osteopenia, but osteopenia doesn't cause pain), "plantar fasciitis" etc etc. I had multiple sessions of Physical Therapy splints, etc with no sucesss. RSD/CRPS was mentioned several times by a civillian dr, but my military dr, at the time, poo-poohed it. My neurologist in Japan (an american dr) took a look at it, had me do several experiments to see if it was vascular or neurological. Then he made the RSD/CRPS diagnosis. We increased my Elavil (i've had allodynia for years, so I've been on that for a while) to help with the burning and hot feeling.

As for pain control.... we're still tring to work on that !

My RSD/CRPS also really effects my autoimmune system. Not everyone experiences autoimmune problems though. When my RSD/CRPS in my tummy flares, it cause my pelvic and female issues to flare, and when I get sick, I really get sick.

My best advice is just to keep pushing for pain control, boost your immune system and keep active ! About the only thing I don't do any more is a lot of gymnastics. I live in a 3rd floor apartment (and have 4 flighs of stairs to climb) so I am always walking, lol. I also try to swim when I can. When I start to get sick, I get antibiotics before it gets out of control and just make sure all my drs are aware of the CRPS/RSD when I have to have surgeries or other procedure.

Hang in there !
love2laugh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dew58 (08-22-2009), loretta (07-14-2009), suz66 (02-21-2012)