View Single Post
Old 07-14-2009, 03:20 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lexiegirl View Post
I was diagnosed with PD in Dec. 08. My first symptom appears to have been 15 years ago when I lost my sense of smell, which was preceded for a time by smelling certain things and still smelling the same thing for up to a week later.
Hi,

It's really awful to get the diagnosis, isn't it? In my case, I was diagnosed last year but had symptoms for at least six years prior; I finally had to start meds at time of diagnosis

I feel strongly that we need biomarkers to tag PD earlier but feel that they need to be used in conjunction with PET scans or other markers to accurately diagnose. I do not have any loss of smell or diminished capacity to smell, so I sometimes wonder how those of us who don't fit the mold would be helped early by a marker that doesn't apply to everyone? I would like to see biomarkers studied in conjunction with genetics to see if there is a link in there somewhere- many who carry PARKIN mutations experience PD differently in the early symptomatic stage; just maybe there is a clue here that will lead to helping us all....

Laura
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote