View Single Post
Old 07-14-2009, 08:37 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I am running short on time right now, getting ready to go take my own new pup for a walk....

I got her from a prison dog training program, and I am planning on training her for an assistance dog.

I would say not to get a husky or husky mix. Go for the breeds you commonly see in assistance work... labs, goldens, shepherds, border collies, Australian Shepherds. They have a drive to please that a husky does not. You want a dog that wants to please you if you want an assistance dog. If you just want a pet, then get your husky.

I joined several assistance dog training groups on Yahoo Groups. They have been invaluable for learning.

Look up "clicker training" assistance dogs.

If you think you will be moving to an apartment, or renting, you may have problems finding a place that will take a larger dog. No place can turn down an assistance dog though.

I trained dogs and showed in obedience competitions in the past. I am able to train my own dog. But, still these last 2 months have been really trying. And, my dog was 5 months old, already house trained, and knew basic commands. She is half Border Collie and half Lab. Should be the perfect combination for a service dog.

I'll be back on here when I can in the next couple days to offer more advice but need to get a move on and then get to work....

Jules
daylilyfan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AintSoBad (07-14-2009)