View Single Post
Old 07-14-2009, 03:28 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Annie:

Thanks for the explanation. I just always thought I needed to slow down. This has been happening for years. It's good to at least know why.

You mentioned "decreased peristalsis." Does that include digestion? Sometimes I feel like I have a brick sitting on my stomach after I eat. I don't even have to eat very much to have it.

I see my MG neuro on August 4th and will get more information and a confirmed diagnosis then.

Thanks,
Shannon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieB3 View Post
Sometimes you guys are so silly!

It takes muscles to swallow food! And when those muscles get weak, you can't swallow. Have you ever been having a shower, with the water running downward and wonder why you all of a sudden have water "up" your nose or throat? Or the same when you are eating? If the muscles don't work, you can't get water or food down the GI tract. Same goes for the GI tract in general. If you don't have enough acetylcholine, you can have decreased peristalsis (the contraction of muscles to get food down the GI tract).

Shannon, you need to be really careful when you start not to be able to swallow. Next to not being able to breathe well, it is the second reason for someone with MG to contact their neuro or go to the ER. Try a cold washcloth on your neck or sip cold water in between bites of food. Not too cold because that can cause problems too. And the additional danger when you choke is aspirating food or water into your lungs. You can get "aspirational pneumonia" from that.

So the reason for it isn't complicated but the fact that it is happening is. If you guys have a worsening of swallowing, you need to call you neuro. AND stop talking. Seriously. Talking makes those muscles worse. You both take it easy, okay?

Annie
scarpettafan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote