View Single Post
Old 07-14-2009, 07:46 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default SI Joint surgery

I underwent my first SI jointn fursion at Emory University in Atlanta in 2006. I,like every one else had exhausted every kind of option there is/was. After realizing I has (or my insurance) had spent $30,000.00 on pain management which mostly consisted of SI joint, facet joint and some disc injectionj. Theren was never any improvement. When I asked the not so nice physician (I didn't see that side of him until I started asking about alternative treatments). So I researched the radiofrequency ablations as well as the surgical options. What scared me about the ablation was the anatomy of the nerves. A large bundle of nerves run through the SI joint and the doctor I spoke with was honest enought to say that it could not be positive that you were ablating the right nerve and the end results were real iffy.

By this time I was getting real desparate. I was getting where I couldn't do my job and the thought of going out on disability was terrifying. It seens like you have to almost hit bankruptcy before youcna get any help. So to make a long story short, I opted for what seemed like a very risky surgery but I didn't fell I had any options. I just wanted my life back. So in May of 2006, I drove to Atlanta from Charleston. The staff were very pleasant, but reall thy pleasantness ended there. This was my fourth back type surgery and the pain was like I never experienced. I was completely unable to walk for about three weeks. I faithfully followed the physical therapy protcol but could never build up any strength or stamina. I went through aqua therapy which did help with regaining some stamina. But then the pain started to return. I was convinced the pain was coming from the pins in the pelvis but no real test definitively could prove that. I did have an SI joint steroid injection which suggested haloing (A signof pin mobility) My orthopedist did a CT scan and it did not show any signs of mobility. Since I was getting worse and worse, I went to a second opiniond and he agreed thatc the pins showed haloing and a year after the fujsion, very little bone growth had occurred, so I wsa actually no better than I started off.
As you know there are very few MDs who treat SI joiny dysfunction but I was luchy that I liven a citywithamedical university who just happened to have an orthopedist whose research specialty was, you guess it, SI joint dysfunction.
He agreed, rather reluctantly to attempt salvage surgery with the understanding that this was hopefully for pain relief. I probably would never be mobile nor physically as well again. There was a chance I would come out worse,better orno difference. It has been one year nor this week. He told me it would take months to a year to get better. H was right.He pulled no punched when he warned me about how much pain would be involved during recovery. He did NOT soften or talk me into this in any way.If anything he made it sound worse. So now ayear later. I still walk with a cane,probably always will. There are still some real bad days that I use the walker still. The pain is finally under control, but I still take long acting narcotics and somee brekthrough meds.I am far less depressed becauseI am finally starting to get out anad have a little fun. I takes a LOT OF MIND OVER MATTER. iF yOU ASKED ME IF WOULD GO THROUHG THIS LONG ARDUOUS EXPERIENCENE AGAIN, I
WOULD HAVE TO SAY YES JUST BECAUSE FINALLY after 2 years, the pain is controlled well enough most of the time that I have some sort of life again. I would be happy to talk to anyone contemplating this complex sugery.
SallyE5756 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote