View Single Post
Old 07-14-2009, 09:50 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRPSbe View Post
There's been so much speculation, there are all kinds of theories out there. The most accepted one, the most general one, is that RSD is a consequence of soft tissue trauma.

There's talk about it being genetic, autoimmune, rheumatic, ... what have you. None of those theories have proof though. The only thing that is known is what triggers it: trauma.
I am not sure an autoimmune origin would make sense. At least as a major predisposing factor. It might be a confounding variable in that people with autoimmune disease also have RSD but no real association. An example of this would be to say that people who live in Wisconsin consume a lot of dairy products. People who live in Wisconsin have a higher rate for cancer. Therefore, dairy products cause cancer (none of this is true but is a example of a confounding variable).

One of the big autoimmune diseases is rheumtoid arthritis for which depending on the study, the female to male ratio is as high as 4:1. The female to male ratio for RSD is somewhat higher than 2:1 but I don't think anywhere near approaches that of RA. I would think that the ratios for each would be closer if they were in fact related. A very loose (but probably unrelated) association at best!
Dubious is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
AintSoBad (07-15-2009)