View Single Post
Old 07-15-2009, 08:08 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Laura, this is one of the main problems facing young onset PWP, and I expect everyone will have a different answer. I think alot depends on the nature of your job, and the support of your co-workers and supervisor (if you have one).

I was a college librarian, diagnosed at 45. I managed to work for 10 years after diagnosis, retiring on disability about 3 years ago. I was blessed with a wonderful director who agreed to any accomodations that might help me continue to work, and colleagues who taught an extra class, or answered a reference question for me when I was unable to. I know not everyone is so fortunate.

I knew it was time to retire when it took all of my energy to drag myself to and from work each day; when my work kept piling up and when I had to rely too much on others for help. I think each person reaches the point where they know it is time.

As for Sinemet, i had closer to a 5 year honeymoon -- for a long time I felt "normal" again. Then i had to start increasing the dosage and frequency, and add other meds -- Requip, Comtan, but still was able to function fairly well. It was about a year ago that i started to have longer offs and more fluctuations and now freezing. But I had 14 pretty good years, and consider myself fortunate for that.

Like I said everyone is different -- we do the best we can to fight whatever this disease hits us with for as long as we can. Being in a group like this surely helps
linda
LindaH is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote