View Single Post
Old 07-15-2009, 10:56 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default How do you get family to understand?

Hello! I'm new here. I'm so relieved to find you all, but I must apologize if I'm replying on the wrong page. I have never used a forum and am completely ignorant about where to put my first post. Sorry!

I sustained a concussion almost 6 weeks ago in a cement tunnel at a swimming pool. I was slammed up into the roof of the thing 3 times, blacked out and then stayed in a swirl of dizziness for an hour. I had a lot of pain and dizziness, but most frightening was the way I "shut down" and couldn't speak or respond, even though I knew that people were speaking to me

I had two CT Scans and X Rays...normal. I was diagnosed with PCS. I still struggle with headaches, dizziness and trouble concentrating, speaking and typing. I'm also quite irritable at times.

I'm writing to ask for help with the irritability. How do you get your family members to understand that you are still injured?? I am only 35-40% better. My symptoms get much worse with stress or confrontation. I think that my husband and one daughter are ready for me to do more around the house preparing meals, shopping, etc, but I can't even drive yet! (I feel like I'm drunk driving and am scared I'll have an accident.)

I told my family that the neurologist told me it typically takes 2 months to get back to normal but that it could take a year. I told them also, that he said my family might suspect I was milking my injury once they saw improvement. What else do you recommend?

Thank you so much for your help,
Tracy
tracywho? is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote