View Single Post
Old 07-17-2009, 06:52 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Hi,

Thank you. It's when reading all of our stories, I feel most angry at having PD. Why should we even be faced with such a decision?

In my case, I HAVE to find work. I would really love to stay home with my little one and possibly work part-time, but I don't think it's financially feasible. Needless to say that added stress does not help in the least. I have a job interview next week and fear that my meds won't work, or that I'll get a surprise early wearing off. Having to hide this makes it so much more difficult- as if we all didn't have enough to deal with already; we end up feeling inadequate because we can't keep up and like social pariahs because PD is for "old people".

Linda, I happen to be a librarian too. I worked in public libraries for many years before switching to the K-12 setting. I'm glad you had supportive colleagues. Hope you're still active in libraries somehow?

Soania, I can't imagine. You've always had this PD thing with you from the start. To answer your question: yes, I think by all means we struggle between wanting to feel productive and "normal" when it comes to career yet also feeling that we should spend as much time as possible with loved ones. If part time in a clinical setting is too much at this point, I think exploring other outlets for your talent and knowledge is a good idea. Might you be able to teach as adjunct faculty near you, or teach an online course? Maybe there's a way you could creatively combine your children and career...is there any way you could volunteer in a medical setting and have your children there helping too? You'd still be able to share your expertise and stay connected to what you feel passionate about- this would be great for kids to see too. Just an idea.

Rose, "poor but happy" says it all. I'd say "poor but rich in spirit" too

-Laura
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote