View Single Post
Old 07-18-2009, 09:29 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

hi I am overcomer,
I just received w/c settlement and as has been said, it will never be enough when you have a disability w/not much chance to return to work - my injury was 5/2008, placed on ssd 10.2008 - as disability required lifetime care and I was looking at future surgery and insertion of neurotransmitter, w/c figured it was cheaper to settle - I also received a medicare set aside fund for the next 23 years for future care then after that fund runs out, medicare will pick up the cost as they indicated it was a w/c injury and w/c needed to pay - there is some sort of way they determine how many years w/c has to pay before medicare picks up - also, in the state of georgia, medicare does not start once you are on disability for 25 mos but even as I speak, medicare is evaluating my medicare set aside to see if it will be enough, if no, w/c will have to put more into the fund, if they say less, w/c cannot take anything away - it looks like they will have to put me in medicare before the 25 mos in order for me to use the fund because you have to prove you are on medicare to get medicare prices for treatment - you really need to find a lawyer who is aware of what rsd is are you will be short changed, my lawyer had specified on his site that he was familiar w/rsd and warned that all lawyers are not - what I did was went to the internet and looked up rsd lawyers, went on their sites as some will give you cases about rsd and othe conditions w/the amount that was won so that is how I knew about how much to expect - the sad part about this is you look at w/c cases on these lawyer sites and then you look at personal injury and the is succccccchhh a bigggg difference that you cry but that is how w/c is - my lawyer did tell me that the reason there is no pay for pain and suffering is that w/c considers paying your bill pain and suffering and personal injury cases are pvt iunsurance or if md is aware of personal injury/you have a lawyer they will treat you then get funds when you settle so you get money to also pay medical bill - hope this helps - I know each state is different and I live in the state of georgia and we do not have lifetime insurance -
overcomer is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dew58 (07-19-2009), Jomar (01-25-2010), Kakimbo (01-26-2010)