View Single Post
Old 07-19-2009, 10:44 AM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Hi everyone. Thank you so much for the prayers. Wednesday mom woke up feeling fine and made all of us breakfast. It was about an hour after that that she became confused and agitated. We weren't sure if she had a seizure or if she took too many pills so we watched her closely for about an hour. She was sitting on the porch when she started twitching and couldn't come out of the seizure like before. During this time she was able to walk with help. We loaded her into the car and tried to take her to the er. It wasn't a grand-mal seizure, it was a tremor seizure. I think the hospital called it status seizures.

We couldn't get through the tourist traffic so we pulled over and called an ambulance. She was able to help get out of the car and onto the gurney while seizing. I rode in the ambulance with mom. They got her to the hospital and gave her Ativan and Dilantin and she was still seizing. It was then they decided to transport her to Knoxville. She seized from 12:10pm-8pm nonstop. They had to place her into a coma to shut the brain off. It was unreal and like a dream. I never thought I'd have to sign papers to do this. They believe it was low Dilantin since it was down to 3, with normal being about 10. Her neuro was weening her off the Dilantin and upping her Keppra at the time.

Mom is now home with my sister and recovering. She is having a hard time remembering anything and we're concerned there may have been damage. She has moments of clarity but it is sketchy. She doesn't remember yesterday and has to be prompted to recall some things. The doctors said this is normal but they don't know her like we do. Usually she bounces back within a day or so and this time she isn't. We're calling her neuro in the morning to get her in for an appointment. I am sure he'll fill us in on what is expected to happen and if she needs 24 hour care and for how long. She developed pneumonia on top of this due to the seizures and coma and is on antibiotics for that. This was a really long seizure so none of us know what to expect and what is normal for recovery.

Thanks again for all of the prayers. The whole family is grateful to have so many praying for our mom. Trish, thank you for updating for us.

Last edited by SandyC; 07-19-2009 at 11:09 AM.
SandyC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Abbie (07-21-2009), Alffe (07-21-2009), Chemar (07-19-2009), CoolAngel26 (07-21-2009), Darlene (07-20-2009), DejaVu (07-21-2009), ewizabeth (07-19-2009), Kitty (07-19-2009), tkrik (07-20-2009), TwoKidsTwoCats (07-19-2009)