Thread: Acupuncture
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2006, 07:20 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

voodoo is voodoo. But there are things that are helped by acupuncture. I think the best record is on muscular pain. But it's not going to fix damaged nerves, only spasm that might be resulting from them.

A couple of months ago I did a series of 3 acupuncture sessions, and I'll probably go back in a few weeks for a booster. But I have a lot of spasm in my back since the laminectomy. It loosened my back up immediately, and I do mean immediately. I could bend to put on my shoes, whereas before my back was too stiff for this. It lasted a few days, and improved again. The third session was a bust. It did nothing for pain, just ease of movement.

My acupuncturist is very western. He talks with people's doctors, letting them know what he finds. He doesn't care particularly about meridians, or hocus pocus. He says there are a few things he can almost always help, and somethings he can often help. But he leaves it at that.

The anesthesiologist who did my facet block yesterday also does acupuncture. But again, it's part of a western orientation and these practitioners have a good sense of what treatment works for what ailment.

The acupuncturist did not try to get me back, after the third session was bust. He thought maybe I might want to try in a few weeks or a month, but he was awfully happy to hear I was getting the facet block.

--- LYME neuropathy diagnosed in 2009; considered "idiopathic" neuropathy 1996 - 2009
---s/p laminectomy and fusion L3/4/5 Feb 2006 for a synovial spinal cyst
LizaJane is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote