View Single Post
Old 07-20-2009, 07:39 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Sorry you're having this problem. Foot drop can be serious.

A few thoughts...

Have you thought about signing up on SS? Just because they hold back -- I forgot how many months, thinking the first 6 you will never get paid for, and it takes 2 years for Medicare to kick in, or when a judge deems you medically disabled.

Depending on the Dx, there could be a number of treatment options. injections, therapies, LED and infrared lights -- if it's neuropathy related, The Neuropathy Centers of America advocate the lights. They've helped me tremendously. I'm even trying to start a business with them. I can distribute but still gathering infor. I do believe they can help a lot of things that doctors seemingly can't.

There is no substitute for good health. Using aids and devices are a Godsent when needed, but it's not like not needing them. Be careful as your body will take time to adjust to the awkwardness of "artificial" things. It could cause you to fall and injure something else.

I admire your work ethics. We share the same passion; in that, I want to work as long as I can. It's not popular, though...

and... I wasn't born rich, didn't marry rich, and stand to inherit very little. So therefore, I must work. Work is good therapy. I think we need to find a happy balance.

I don't know your age. Sometimes we heal slower if we're not young.

Hope you find a fix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimbie3116 View Post
Hello everyone,

I was recently diagnosed with foot drop due to stretching of my sciatic nerve.....I had an emg today, which was extremely painful. I am unable to move my foot due to the paralysis.....it has affected me greatly especially since I am unable to work right now....being a waitress and having foot drop do not go well together. I am beyond frustrated, angry, and feel completely hopeless about everything. The doctor told me to get an AFO.....I am curious to find out how much improvement there will be in walking once I get that.....am I going to be able to return to working once I get the hang of walking with the afo on? Should I be concerned that I will never regain movement in my foot? The doctor that did the emg today wants to see me again in a month for another emg. At this point I am looking for anyone out there that can give me some encouragement about my situation and tell me whether I can look forward to some sort of normalcy once I get the AFO, as well as whether I am being pessimistic in thinking that I will not be able to walk normally again. Thanks to anyone who reads this and is willing to post comments!
Thanks again!

(Broken Wings) is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote