View Single Post
Old 07-20-2009, 09:25 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default How to recover from the negative effects fom ECT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise Diaz View Post
Hi I went through the same thing. And still am I cant help my 10 year old withhis homework or really remember anything I missplace everything, this has really effected my self esteem. I wasnt told of the side effects either they told me the memory would come back I cant remember my childrens birthdays at that time or anything its like those months didnt exist to me but they did to my family,they hated to see me like that but I was in such desperate need and still am. I am so tired of being passed around hospitalized suicide attempts i am desperate for help. How are you know are you feeling better now?
I have had the same problems. I have word retrieval and word fluency problems plus I cannot read and remember what I read. My spelling is still crap. Misplacing things is better only because I make a point of putting things in a certain place and no where else. I cannot read and retain what I read for more than a day or two. Used to be five minutes. I had ECT back in early 2007. I also have a lot of visual spatial problems. I could go on;

What you need is neuropsychological testing which should give some information about what you need in terms of rehab. I am now working with my therapist but also with a rehab psychologist who is also a neuropsychologist.

Some things got better over time but not everything. This is where rehab can be helpful. Some of my memories are gone likely for good, but some are retrievable according to the rehab doc.

Zeba
Zeba is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote