View Single Post
Old 07-21-2009, 01:13 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default Oxycontin and Itching-put up with it or is it time to lower the oxy?

Hey Guys

I'm after some feedback about the insane itching I deal with all night, every night. Would you take something else to relieve the side effects or do you think I may be getting less tolerant of the oxy itself?

I've been on oxycontin for over a year now, and have been on 80mg a day for about 4 months. I've always had itching (mainly on my face) if I've had a fair dose of endone (ie 20mg), but not with the oxycontin on it's own.

But in the past couple of weeks it's gone from mildly annoying to out of control, with me being awake all night, itching one spot after the other and feeling like I should be in a padded cell! I'm needing to scratch at itchy areas (all over my body, not just on my face like with the endones) every few seconds, for HOURS.

I take phenergan (an anti-histimine)when it gets really bad and that really helps, but I don't want to do it every night. I don't know if it's ok to take that every night.

The oxycontin works SO well for my pain, I'd hate to have to give it up, but these side effects have become too hard to live with.

We tried swapping my other meds to the morning (instead of taking most of them at night) but that hasn't changed anything.

Can anyone offer me any suggestions as to how to deal with this? Or is it a sign that my tolerance to oxy is decreasing rapidly?

Thanks heaps
x Kate