View Single Post
Old 07-21-2009, 01:41 AM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Bi Polar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineOnTheScene View Post
My husband has been struggling with depression for at least 5 years. It took 3 years to get a diagnosis (bi-polar, mostly depressive.) No psychiatric drugs have helped--he is totally incapacitated. He can't work, can't do much of anything. His disease is resistant to everything. After going through all psychiatric drugs, we were referrred to a university hospital for ECT treatments (elctro-convulsive therapy.) He has now gone through 11 treatments and there is a little progress. I don't know where else to turn...what's after ECT if it doesn't work?
I suffered from depression for as long as I can remember. I had been put on about 20 different meds over the past 18 yrs, and nothing really helped me either. I got diagnosed with epilepsy in this past year--I was given anti-seizure medicine and I feel the best I have felt in years, but not perfect. I am sooo very sorry that you have to endure all this. It is by far the worst kind of suffering a human being can have. You just feel dead inside, and you loose any ability to enjoy life. I know that this is very hard on you too. My husband stood by me thru all of the downs and I am grateful, because it wasn't easy for him either. I don't know anything about ECT, but I would make sure your husband has been tested for ANY other cause to his depression so you can rule everything out. My heart goes out to you and your husband, and I wish you all the best! hutch
hutch is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
(Broken Wings) (07-21-2009)