View Single Post
Old 07-21-2009, 10:45 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default Using Vyvanse with Lexapro or Zoloft

My son (17 years old) was diagnosed with ADHD in the 3rd grade. He had the classic symptons - Can't stay focused in class, can't sit down, breaks pencils, etc. We tried numerous medications including Adderall, Straterra and Vyvanse. Nothing seemed to make a big difference except for the Vyvanse. Of course, we saw some improvement with most medications but nothing significant. Vyvanse seemed to have the best response with minimal side effects coming off the medicine at the end of the day.

Recently he was diagnosed with OCD after spending some time with a Psychologist and Psychriatist. He asked to see the doctors because he was experiencing anxiety attacks. Due to the ADHD, his mind would always race with numerous thoughts. Beginning this year his thoughts became a never-ending chain of random images that he could not control. At times it became more than he could handle and the anxiety attacks would occur.

The Psychriatist put him on Lexapro in conjunction with his existing Vyvanse prescription. He began experiencing severe mood swings. At times he became violent. We gradually took him off the Lexapro and started Zoloft this week. Tonight he had another severe reaction and he became near-suicidal. It's hard to saw if he would really harm himself, but I've never tonight's reaction before.

Clearly, something is wrong. Has anyone encountered similar reactions with Vyvanse and meds like Lexapro and Zoloft. There is nothing more depressing or hopeless than seeing your son crying to end it all because he can't take it anymore.

I would appreciate any comments or thoughts...Thanks
Runner is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Mom #1 (05-24-2011)