Thread: IVIg
View Single Post
Old 09-13-2006, 06:35 AM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Default Starting homework on IVIG....

IVIG stands for Intravenous Immuno Globulin. It is a filtered blood product used primarily for autoimmune conditions. It is extremely expensive due the screening processes and processing for the product. It is tightly regulated.
It is administered thru IV in a liquid form into a vein, usually doses are geared according to your weight and condition. IVIG is used to treat several neuropahties, GBS, CIDP, MG, ITP, MMN and has been experimental in treating ALS, MS and over a dozen other medical conditions.
There are side effects to this treatment tho, some effects can, like many medications, become life threatening. I receive treatment monthly[2+ years] as I could not tolerate other therapies. Others may receive it weekly, bi-weekly, bi-monthly or on intermittent schedules- depending on a person's response to treatments.
Many side effects can be unpleasant, but others I know of who receive this treatment who do not react adversely, wouldn't trade it for the world.
There is a new magazine out, called IGLiving, which is informative and also provides articles and references to web sites that help understand the product, it's effects, regulations and uses.
For me, infusions on a regular basis, have slowed the progression of my neuropathy and it has lowered the pain levels to something tolerable [5+/-] and I'm able to function fairly well [limited walking, driving, etc]. I don't know where I'd be without it, honestly-it's not an issue I want to consider. I am grateful I can have it. Web it up and read all possible about it if you are considering this treatment. Many of the brands of IVIG have prescribing info that clearly outlines the benefits and risks of treatment-
Teri, are you considering IVIG or are you receiving treatments and have questions? If you're just getting started, having a bit of background helps to form questions, there should be a LOT of them! Start with the NIH and use their search for IVIG...there's lots there for starters. Hope this all helps - j

Last edited by dahlek; 09-13-2006 at 06:38 AM.
dahlek is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote