View Single Post
Old 07-22-2009, 01:57 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Bobber, I gotta say, you are the only person I have ever heard of that claims that opiates are rough on the liver. Quite to the contrary, they are easier on the liver than nearly all the newer drugs, although I'm not sure exactly why that is. I've read where heroin addicts of twenty and more years who have no physical problems associated with their abuse(aside from needle marks, etc, I should think) When years ago I was in rehab, the junkies actually looked down on the alcoholics because they knew that could they kick, they wouldn't have the liver problems the alkies would. Also, I know quite a few people who have had life threatening reactions to morphine, yet they can take vicodin. Strangely enough, codeine and morphine must be pretty closely related, for the folks that can't take morphine usually can't take codeine either, although most I've noted don't have life threatening reactions to the codeine. Since I'm on enough opiates to have concern, if you have a link that shows liver issues, please provide it. I don't want to be dying in a few years from liver failure (ouch!) nor do I want to mislead anyone else. From every doc I've talked to and whatnot, I've told them I'd prefer to take an opiate rather than say neurontin or one of the other new ones due to health concerns, and have yet to hear any of them disagree that this is a valid concern. Detox off of them does suck regardless, but if you don't wean yourself off very slowly, it is a horror. Quite frankly though, as this is a lifelong condition, and my pain levels only fairly slowly increase or decrease (the 'base level', that is; spikes don't fiddle around, some days I can't control it at all) I can change the levels of pain meds needed gradually. I don't have to stand on concrete all day at work anymore, and my pain levels have gone down, mostly. Spreading to my foot though, and the new area hurts more. I really hate it. Spikes are more frequent and worse than before. But the base level is lower, so I won't be needing as much painkiller as I did, I should imagine. And pray. Anyways, my apologies if I tweaked you, I certainly hope I am correct, and if I am, well, I had to say something. If I am incorrect, I would like to know, fer sure.

Later,
Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobber View Post
Hi Cake
welcome to my world,,my tolerance is down,,you can swap out to another,but once you have a reaction to one opiate,,your bound to have it with another and even with hydrocodone[vicodin]],, if you start haveing a rash itching on your hands or feet,,thats a liver toxicity,,the liver is trying to off load the med because it is in a weaken state.thats the boat that im in ,,your liver may be healthy,a blood test and aldolase test will tell you how your livers doing,,opiates are brutal on the liver and they are horrifying to detox off of,, talk to your dr,,see what he thinks,,but id run the blood work,,good luck to you,,,bobber
Smoke_666 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote