View Single Post
Old 07-22-2009, 09:54 PM
Wise Elder

15 yr Member
Wise Elder

15 yr Member

Billie:

Funny you should mention the word INTERVENTION.

Quite some time ago, she phoned me and said "I had my intervention today"

She has other friends who live closer and who drive and who she is friends with for over 40 years, and they got together with HER SON, WHO IS A RAGING ALCOHOLIC, and they did an intervention on her.

When she told me that she walked into her living room to see ALL OF THEM SITTING ON CHAIRS, and then HER SON SPOKE UP, and said "Mom we are worried about you, you are falling down dead drunk, passing out, we are all worried, you must stop". (well I just sat there looking at the phone because an alcohlic gave her an intervention???

So I just replied "So what happened"?> And she just told me what everybody said and I said "so what are you going to do?"

And she said :

"I'm not ready but I'll think about it'.

The very next day she phoned me and said:

"I am mad as hell, I just spoke to my therapist and she said "HOW DARE HE GIVE YOU AN INTERVENTION, HE'S AN ALCOHOLIC".

I said: "Let me ask you a question, "Your therapist doesn't think you should go into rehab??" She said 'my therapist always says I will go when I'm ready"

That was probably a year ago, and nothing changed.

Billie, you wrote:

"Is she intoxicated or drinking when she talks to you? You might try, "I love you and I'm fine but I'm going to stop talking to you when you're drinking. Even if she calls the police, they'll get used to it."

I have done this MANY TIMES. By the time she comes home from work, she hits the wine, and by 6 p.m. she calls me and she's slurring like crazy.

The other night I said "oh my god, you're drinking already, how many have you had?" She said 'no, I'm not drinking". She couldn't put two sentences together by the way. I then repeated "how many have you had"?
And she said: "Only 2"

I do not enjoy having conversations with her because she never remembers anything we speak about.

I guess I must be the most uncompassionate person in the world (I sound like I am don't I).

I guess I've been through so much with my son, I am absolutely numb.

But I thank for your advice and much congratulations on being sober for 19 years.

I think the bravest people in the whole world are the people in recovery.

Melody

CONSUMER REPORTER
SPROUT-LADY