View Single Post
Old 12-30-2006, 09:29 AM
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
In Remembrance

15 yr Member
Default I just have to be different...

Don't assume that protein is a problem until you test it on your own body. I find that lots of protein first thing in the morning works wonders for me. Stabilizes everything.

There are many myths about PD and this is one. Lieberman had an article on his old website saying the problem actually affected about 20% of us. So try it on your own metabolism.

One of the maddening things is that PD is a little different for each of us. It is like an overlay on our individual systems. If you are more stress sensitive than me then your PD is going to be different than mine. Each of us has to test the particular balm on our specific body/minds to know.

I have begun a very simple testing program that really works for me. Time yourself standing on each foot. How long can you balance on each leg? Do it under a constant set of circumstances ("on" state in mid-afternoon for me) and do it for 5 to 10 days for a baseline. Get a fresh baseline before you start anything new. Then record how things change over the next few weeks.

In my case, I have found that my "basic" group of supplements really do work - for me. In fact, they more than quadrupled the time for my strong leg. Now that I know that it makes it so much easier to face that little handful of expensive pills.

The leg balance may seem silly, but actually it is a superb test for PD. It requires no equipment, training, etc. It is non-invasive and cheap and can be done in private. Most importantly, it measures simultaneously strength, muscle control, sensory feedback, postural stability, etc.

And by the way, my "core" supplements mentioned are alpha lipoic acid, acetyl carnitine, L-carnosine, green tea extract, and ginger extract. I plan to add turmeric back in soon, but those five with a multi are the ones I tested above. If you decide to try them (they function as a group) then for goodness sake, test, test, test!
Currently (2011) taking 200/50 Sinemet CR 8 times a day + 10/100 Sinemet 3 times a day. Functional 90% of waking day but fragile. Failure at exercise but still trying. Constantly experimenting. Beta blocker and ACE inhibitor at present. Currently (01/2013) taking ldopa/carbadopa 200/50 CR six times a day + 10/100 form 3 times daily. Functional 90% of day. Update 04/2013: L/C 200/50 8x; Beta Blocker; ACE Inhib; Ginger; Turmeric; Creatine; Magnesium; Potassium. Doing well.
reverett123 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote