View Single Post
Old 07-23-2009, 10:32 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billie View Post
Dear JH, I wish I could be more help, but I am avidly interested in your article because my psychiatrist is strongly recommending ECT. I live alone, and so do not have to boil water for pasta [!], but I have an elderly cat that I must take care of and wonder if I would be able to do that. My cognitive skills have regressed enough as it is. I don't blame you for being angry about not being given all the information. If it will reduce your anger, you might think about this: mental health professionals, to include psychiatrists, generally have to be in fairly good mental health to hold their demanding jobs. As a result, all they can actually know about mental or affective illness is what they have studied in books, again written largely by professionals, not patients. It may be somewhat easier for a medical Dr. to understand medical conditions and treatments that he has not experienced, as these things can be viewed, by MRI or otherwise. Psychiatric professionals do not have the ability to "see" the conditions they are treating or the results of the treatment. Instead, those who need information get its from people like you, with the experience and the writing and language skills to communicate that experience. Mental health professionals cannot essentially understand what it is that they are treating. I WILL say that they should be doing their research through reading articles like yours! I think the brain rewires itself in time, and I once worked with a 70 y/o lady who had had a lobotomy, with her memory and skills subsequently restored. ~hugs, very best of luck, and keep posting. You are very helpful to many of us, and your cognitive and other skills are very adequate to this mission! billie
I started to reply and lost the post. I am a MH professional who had ECT. I had 7 RUL treatments, twice per week at my insistance, but they did 5 times the seizure threshold level. I quit before they wanted me to as I was becoming extremely confused and disoriented. Bull that any doctor says they would do ECT if they needed it. I have been diagnosed by the neurologist and neuropsychologist with ECT cognitive decline, and I am now in rehab. This is no laughing matter. You could end up worse. It's a crap shoot. My advice-if you can get by without it, don't do it. Exercise by going for walks, etc. and do whatever it takes to stay on top of things.

Zeba
Zeba is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote