View Single Post
Old 07-24-2009, 05:20 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default clarification

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitcher View Post
[ostensibly from 23andMe]...The vast majority of you don't have any known genetic factors associated with Parkinson's.
I am a big fan of the 23andMe initiative, and was one of the early participants. The data is fascinating, though for the first few weeks I felt a bit like Narcissus staring into a bottomless pond (lol). Yet I am concerned that the quote above may be slightly, unintentionally misleading.

The test identifies, among other things, the LRRK2 mutation associated with specific populations of late onset PWP. It does not assess the Parkin or Pink mutations associated with early onset PD. (I verified this with 23andMe.) Additionally, as the quote implies, there are likely other mutations that remain unidentified which are somehow linked to PD, as well as SNIPS.

This is in no way a criticism of 23andMe's invaluable service. It's just a reminder to participants that if your results show no mutation of LRRK2 that does not necessarily mean there is not a genetic component to your PD.

Your doctor may agree to order additional testing from a private lab if you are interested, and some insurance companies will pay for it...mine did. But beware of the billing tricks labs sometimes play with consumers (I'll save that shocking tale for another day!). These tests run in the thousands and, as of yet, have no or little practical application.

My newest silver lining of PD: I finally understand why my eyes are blue!

Rose
rose of his heart is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote