View Single Post
Old 07-24-2009, 08:20 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose of his heart View Post
I am a big fan of the 23andMe initiative, and was one of the early participants. The data is fascinating, though for the first few weeks I felt a bit like Narcissus staring into a bottomless pond (lol). Yet I am concerned that the quote above may be slightly, unintentionally misleading.

The test identifies, among other things, the LRRK2 mutation associated with specific populations of late onset PWP. It does not assess the Parkin or Pink mutations associated with early onset PD. (I verified this with 23andMe.) Additionally, as the quote implies, there are likely other mutations that remain unidentified which are somehow linked to PD, as well as SNIPS.

Rose
Thank you for that clarification. I was a little disappointed to find that they only tested for one marker as it is touted as a Parkinson's Research tool. Does anyone know why, other than cost, 23andme does not offer the option of testing the other mutations (I think there are 13 at this point) for an extra charge? Looking at their data, it looks as if their is a much larger amount of data for late onset PD. This may help us all at some point, but I really was hoping they would do a little more differential testing for us YO participants. Nonetheless, I'll be interested to see how the research unfolds.

Rose, I really enjoy your posts both here and at YOPA.

Best,

Laura
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
rose of his heart (07-25-2009)