View Single Post
Old 07-25-2009, 06:48 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default immediate personal benefit

Quote:
Originally Posted by girija View Post
I participated in 23andM3 research project too, mostly because my data point would add to PD knowledge, not for immediate personal benefit..... It will help future generations, I hope.
girija
Girija...you wound me! I too participated to advance scientific knowledge and help future generations. To be honest, I also hoped to gain additional insight into how the heck I ended up on this board.

Another immediate benefit I had initially selfishly hoped for (before learning that there are likely more markers we are unaware of than the ones we know) was peace of mind. My maternal grandmother had early onset PD and I suppose I was looking for a reason not to be terrified that my two boys will develop it as well.

I worked in fundraising long enough to know that most people's motivations to contribute to anything are multi-layered. The closest to an exception I have found are the Anonymous Altruists. The rest of us fall somewhat short of that. In the end, actions count more than motivation. The data will be useful either way.

Selfish Rose ;>)
rose of his heart is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote