View Single Post
Old 07-26-2009, 03:47 PM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member
Blush Constipation as a symptom of MS??

Sorry for the poopie thread, but I have questions.

I guess I have heard this as I have made my way through the treatment world, and the path of MS, but somehow it never sunk in. As I was being examined at my MS clinic check up, they asked if I was constipated. I said, well...its a normal state of being for me, so I assumed it was a normal thing in my world. The MD went on about how in MS patients the bowel wall can trigger just like the muscle for the leg, or the arm, or any other part of the body, and that greater than 50% of MS patients have constipation as a sx for them, either IN flare, or post flare.

It has been my normal to go from constipated to super constipated. It is like I simply cannot feel the urge to push the material out. I can tell that I need to go, and it seems like my intestines push things at a snails pace, so I make sure to be very well hydrated. The issue for me is that I simply am not able at times to push correctly. Like asking your leg to raise, and it wont, or asking your feet to stop tingling. I am stunned that I never actually tied this in as a true symptom of MS.

How many of you have constipation as one of your symptoms? is it a normal daily thing for you, or do you just have flares with it?

Thank you for tolerating yet another brown thread.

Betaseron 5/18/07

Elevated LFTs Beta DC 7/07
Copaxone 8/7/07

Dejibo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
ewizabeth (07-26-2009), kicker (07-31-2009)