View Single Post
Old 07-26-2009, 03:54 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default recovery

There are some similarities in your case and mine. My Chiari symptoms also "blew up" in July 06'. My surgeries (I had 3--decompression, one month later my surgeon went back in to repair a dural tear, another month later I had shunt surgery because of hydrocephalus) took place in March-May 07'. It was a year before I felt semi-normal and I still have a very weak neck. If I overdue it (lifting, bending over a lot, etc.) I'll get headaches again similar to the pre-surgery headaches, just not as intense. It's frustrating as I like to be busy and don't like depending on my husband to do all the lifting, etc. I can tell you that your neurosurgeon is not the person to talk to and you have to find the right neurologist-my first one wasn't helpful at all. I have recently gone back to physical therapy only because I had a bad flare up with headaches and neck pain. I found an excellent PT who has been better at reading my MRI's and explaining things than any doctor. He has been a PT for 21 years-experience is important! I have a syrinx (post-surgical) in the top of my spinal cord but I've gone from lots of numbness in hands, feet and legs to almost no symptoms at all & the syrinx has diminished in size, much to my neurosurgeon's surprise. If you don't already have one, get a neck brace to give you some support when you are doing anything that puts a strain on your neck. I hate putting that thing on but have to admit it helps! Sometimes the only thing that helps is laying down for awhile. I've also found that Celebrex, taken once a day helps me when my neck is bad. I can't imagine being a young mother and dealing with all of this!
Cindy Miller is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote