View Single Post
Old 07-26-2009, 09:15 PM
Legendary

15 yr Member
Legendary

15 yr Member

I couldn't find any reference particularly to grinding of the teeth as a side effect Billie, but I did find lots of information related to the drug and TD, so maybe you're right. I hope not though.

Metoproclamide is one of those medications that you should never take more often than's ordered, but the literature says not to take it for than 3 months. Long term use causes tremors and/or uncontrollable muscle movements, especially in older women, so maybe it's time for a change.

Quote:
Metoclopramide is a gastrointestinal prokinetic agent used in the treatment of symptomatic gastroesophageal reflux disease and diabetic gastroparesis. In addition, injectable metoclopramide is used to prevent nausea and vomiting following chemotherapy and facilitate small bowel intubation and radiological examinations. As an antidopaminergic agent, metoclopramide can cause tardive dyskinesia (TD), a syndrome characterized by persistent, potentially irreversible, abnormal involuntary movements. (http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/498144)
Here's a definition of TD for you, but as you're obviously having side effects to this medication, you'll need to see your doctor so any problems don't progress to irreversable. They are other medications that will do the same job as this drug.... maybe you just need a change.
Quote:
...Tardive dyskinesia is characterized by repetitive, involuntary, purposeless movements. Features of the disorder may include grimacing, tongue protrusion, lip smacking, puckering and pursing of the lips, and rapid eye blinking. Rapid movements of the extremities may also occur.... (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tardive_dyskinesia)

Koala77 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote