View Single Post
Old 07-27-2009, 12:11 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

daniella - it's interesting the different experience we had at Clev. clinic PT. I went to the outpatient Occupational therapy. It was by far the best OT I have had, and I have been to quite a few places. Clev. Clinic was where they taught me to STOP as soon as it hurt worse. To stretch just to the point of hurt, and back off. NOT to push it. They didn't have me coming very often, because progress is slow. They showed me a few exercises, and I went back once every two weeks to be checked and new things added. After a few sessions - perhaps 6 or 7, the woman I was working with said I had learned the exercises, just keep doing them, and I could come back once a year for progress/update. They also worked with me on what things were difficult for me to do in daily life - new ways to do them, or make them easier. Also places to work in exercises into daily life, such as sitting at my desk at work, or in the car driving or even pushing a shopping cart.

Since then, I have gone to a really good physiatrist at Ohio State. My Insurance changed, and I was no longer covered going to Dr. Dews at Clev. Clinic - so I sought out someone closer to home. I really like the physiatrist, although he is great with movement, I think Dr. Dews, who is a pain management doc working at a satallite office of the Clev. Clinic in one of the suburbs, knows RSD better. Well, anyway, the OSU doc sent me to Occupational Therapy at OSU. I was really scheptical (sp?). It turned out that they went by pretty much the same protocol. They taught me new ways to use my TENS unit, and some additional exercises for my hand, which was not affected when I was going to Cleveland. This was at the main OSU therapy dept.

It may depend on what your doctor orders for you, or what therapist you get... or what program your in. I think the intensive, every day program that is 2 weeks or a month is very hard compared to what Dr. Dews ordered for me.

I found that the other physical and occupational therapists I went to at other places that pushed me so hard - one place so hard I was in so much pain I threw up during a session and almost blacked out - definitely made my RSD much worse, and I think caused it to spread.

The "gentle" way I learned at Cleveland Clinic and OSU has not made me worse, but has increased my flexibility - although I have not regained complete use of my arm/shoulder, and they do not think I ever will.
daylilyfan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote