View Single Post
Old 07-27-2009, 12:21 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Debi,
Thanks for clarifying the reason for LRRK2 detection. My post is not appropriate for the general forum and I am trying to edit it. A good lesson for me to learn, when not to post and to re-read what I wrote!!!

Girija

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debi Brooks View Post
The reason that LRRK2 is the only gene mutation on the current chip is because the service is only able to identify common mutations for common diseases...so, by their rare nature, other genes won't likely be read/detected at the current chip strength. As it is, LRRK2 is only expected to be found in 1 to 3% of sporadic PD cases (higher percentages in some ethnic populations) --making it the mutation that, thus far, explains the "most" about genetic etiology of PD. This is technology driven not, driven by a limited interest in LRRK2 only thing.

As technology improves and the cost of computing comes down over the coming years, then such tests will likely be able to report on more rare mutations (not just in PD but in across all diseases). Right now this limitation is related to the difference between a SNP analysis and a full genome-wide assessment.

Debi
girija is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote