View Single Post
Old 07-27-2009, 01:56 PM
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member
Grand Magnate

15 yr Member

Rach, your doctors have to be taking crazy pills.

Have any of you been walking, using only your legs and breathing muscles, and had your arms get weak? The first time that happened I thought it was weird, until I took time to think about it (which your doctors should be doing).

When you use a specific muscle group, like the eyelid, it does get weaker. You "use up" what amount of acetylcholine you have in that area of your body by using it. That's part A of MG.

Part B of MG is that antibodies are attacking your entire body and result in a lessening of acetylcholine everywhere. So while you might "only" be cleaning a bathroom, you are using up your system-wide amount of acetylcholine by doing an activity. ALL of the muscles will be affected, especially your eyelids. Eyelids, for what reason escapes my mind right now but has something to do with the relatively smaller nerves/veins, are especially sensitive to a loss of acetylcholine. That's why they are often the first area of the body to get weak in MG.

The body does not have segmented acetylcholine. As if you can contain it in each separate part of the body. For example, the acetylcholine that your leg uses is the same acetylcholine that your eyelids use. Does that make sense?

So, this "boffin" says that your docs don't know what the heck they are talking about. But you already knew that, didn't you fellow boffin?!

Annie
AnnieB3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote