View Single Post
Old 07-27-2009, 02:48 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default friends are having a hard time understand

My long time friend, one Ive known since Im around 13 y/o, came over today while he was working to give me a hard time.
He doesnt understand why I dont care to go out to the track with him anymore, why I dont call him and tell him to come over at night, or ask him to do whatever we always did.
My wife tries to explain how uncomfortable I am lately, and that Id rather be in the security of my own home, never knowing when my eyes will really go south and make it impossible for me to enjoy any activity.

He looks at me, as do my other friends and relatives and besides the droopy eye lid I had for a month, they dont look at me and find me ill, since I still go to work and still enjoy my hobbies.

I simply told him today, Im not explaining my problems to anyone anymore.
At night, its just a different thing for me, my comfort level goes down, and Im only suffering from ocular MG, but Ive grown very attached to great vision and now Im having a difficult time adjusting.

I dont know what to tell family and friends, I dont want to burden them with my small problems, but want them to understand that work is essential for existance, and my hobbies are essential for my sanity.
My buddy questioned if I consider his friendship something of value, and I told him hes acting like a girl.(no offense, its just man talk and testosterone)

How do you all deal with relatives that cant get a grip on this?
I know alot of you suffer many more symtpoms and problems than me, but having tired eyes sorta keeps one pinned down close to home when I dont have to be anywhere. Its a comfort thing.

Again, Im sorry for questions that seem so trivial, but this is all new to me.
Ive had my health problems, but always bounced back stronger than before.
allen L is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Hockey (08-13-2009)