View Single Post
Old 07-27-2009, 07:13 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

In my first couple of years after being dx w/MS I was getting monthly ear infections that required antibiotics. I was told by 2 or 3 different doctors to tell my neuro about my monthly ear infections because apparently it's tied into MS.

Why I bring this up is they did a culture on my throat and found I had/have an bacteria that belongs in my lower intestines in my ears and throat. Since, daily Acetic Acid 2% ear drops are put in my ears to prevent the monthly ear infections.

I've had problems with severe constipation since my MS was very active my first 4 years after dx. In time, I was sent to a protologist and told my intestinal muscles sometimes work in reverse and I have practically no sphincter muscles. I was prescribed MiraLax nightly. Now MiraLax is over the counter.

This was prescribed after I cut out processed meats, drink Citrucel nightly (doesn't produce gas like the other ones do), eat 'USA' black licorice nightly (which does not increase your bp), started with 2 softeners nightly, 2 stimulants when needed at night, eat a high fiber diet and drink plenty of water daily, eat shredded wheat cereal for breakfast along with a prune or two daily.

Bananas, white rice, applesauce and toast is the diet you are to follow when you have diarrhea (BRAT Diet).

My constipation has only gotten worse over the years and yes constipation is tied in with MS. Too, I now am prescribed Reglan with my meals for my stomach muscles digest food very slowly which too affects my intestinal muscles.

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/abo...ion/index.aspx
At the bottom of the article are additional articles and brochures.

Last edited by 0357; 07-27-2009 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Wording
0357 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dejibo (07-28-2009)