View Single Post
Old 07-28-2009, 02:49 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member
Default The more things change...

Quote:
Originally Posted by paula_w View Post
It seems from the sketchy free articles available that there are connections between hormones, age at natural menopause, and pd.
There are also genes becoming identified.

Hoping for a reply and an attempt to determine if there is much research being done on this apparent connection. Here's a copy of what I sent.
------------------------------------------

My personal history is suggestive of hormones 'shutting down" prior to motor symptoms of pd. I also have a definitive exposure [along with all milk drinkers on at least the island of Oahu in Hawaii in the late 70s and early 80s] to the pesticide heptachlor. They killed the cows upon its' ' discovery'.

I had two children in the 80s, breastfed both for almost two years [nighttime only eventually]. They were born when I was somewhat older. my ages were 33 and 35. i never had another natural menstruation after second child was born, so that became my age at natural menopause.

Is this a vastly understudied area? Is anything planned at MJFF or are there current research studies that any of you know of that can move this research along on age at natural menopause and PD? Genetic analysis must be included, as the average person cannot afford it, and what research I read seemed to indicate genetic markers, as well as a connection.[/I]
Paula,

This is near and dear to me as well. My first and only babe arrived at age 41, this is considered downright geriatric by the medical community. No hormonal intervention was at play. What's odd to me is that I had never been pregnant before despite kinda trying in my early 30's- I wonder if this is some sort of clue. Lo and behold, a study was just published on late fertility and PD- it indicates a LOWER likelihood of PD. Sigh.

According to the study:

During 8 years of follow-up, women who were fertile for more than 39 years were 24 percent less likely to develop Parkinson's disease than those who were fertile for less than 33 years.

Kudos to you for registering at PD and jumping in with patient experiences! I'm too intimidated by all the PhD's.

Regards,

Laura

Edited: Thanks again for the research, Paula. I realized that I missed your first link (thought I connected to all) and duplicated your post- same good stuff, different site.

Last edited by Conductor71; 07-28-2009 at 05:24 PM. Reason: Giving credit
Conductor71 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote