Thread: Acupuncture
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2006, 12:42 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimumeg View Post
I don't believe in any of this really, but I am desperate...
Desperation is just the opposite of what will help you. PN is a chronic disease, and healing, if any, is notoriously slow with progress measured in 6 month or yearly intervals, so you need to plan on dealing with this long-term in a measured, calm, powerful, and effective way.

In ten lifetimes with infinite money, you wouldn't be able to give a fair trial to everything that might or could possibly give you relief and healing. One more effective way to put the odds in your favor would be to get a good differential diagnosis of what is the primary cause(s) of your PN, and what can remediate those causes. For example, if you are diabetic or your body is insulin resistant, and you are overweight, it would make sense to loose weight and radically change your diet to a low-glycemic index diet. On the other hand, if the primary cause of your PN is celiac disease and gluten intolerance, you would need to change to a gluten free diet. If you don’t have a good doctor to help you get to the causes of your PN, that would be one way to start.

While working toward a diagnosis, you can do a lot for yourself. It all starts with a determination to get healthy again, no matter what it takes, and no matter how long it takes. Learn what helps heal nerves and do those things. Two great resources that weren't there when my PN started are the "Stickies:" section on the top of this forum, and www.google.com to do research. LizaJane’s charts (see the links to them in the "Stickies" section) will give you a powerful framework to structure your learning, evaluate what your doctors are doing, and what still needs to be done to get a diagnosis. The process of learning to deal with the PN effectively is itself worthwhile.

If you don't accept negative statements from doctors, learn all that you can, are willing to try what makes sense to you and what helps others, and are willing to make radical changes in your lifestyle, and if you never give in to cynicism or despair you will prevail.

Strong emotion, such as desperation and especially anger, makes our PN much worse. It triggers the flight-fight syndrome that interferes with digestion, reduces blood flow to the extremities, messes up our endocrine balance and our judgment, and alienates the people around us who we need to heal. Our adrenal glands dump steroids into our blood streams to prepare for battle, and then become exhausted. The liver dumps glucose into our bloodstream to prepare for battle or flight, the pancreas dump insulin to utilize the glucose for battle or flight, then all comes crashing down. You feel it in your aching feet for days. Teaching us to be calm and serene no matter what is one of the great gifts of having PN. There are other plusses as you'll discover.

I'm sorry you have PN, but be assured you will get a handle on it and learn to live with it and even help heal it, with or without doctors' help. Depending on the cause, you may be experiencing the worst right now, and it will slowly get better over time if you create an internal and external environment that allows your nerves to heal. That's my experience. All you have to do is read the "Stickies", do other research, and empower yourself with knowledge, commitment, and real power to make a difference for yourself.