View Single Post
Old 07-29-2009, 03:35 PM
Magnate

15 yr Member
Magnate

15 yr Member
Heart

Hi Pete,

It is very nice of you to research RSD to try and help your patients - not many other doctors or health proffesionals would do that unfortunately!!!

I was 12 when I developed RSD, 2 years ago. It started in my left leg and then spread to include both of my arms within a matter of a few months.

Just after I was diagnosed with RSD, I developed severe swelling in my leg overnight. It was so bad that my doctor thought I had either a blood clot or compartment syndrome so sent me for tests.

The tests showed that I had severe muscle inflammation but my doctor said it was probably from the RSD and told me it was probably the worse case of swelling and RSD he had seen - nice to hear, huh?!

I was sent to Physical Therapy and the PTs did lymph drainage / massage to see if that would help with any of the swelling.

It didn't unfortunately and I was in tears during that session as I couldn't tolerate it.

A few months later, I still had the swelling and my Doctor arranged to make a cast for my leg to try and correct the dystonia I have as a complication of the RSD.

I was put under general anaesthetic and the PTs suggested trying the massage therapy whilst I was asleep to see if that would help with the swelling.

When I awoke from the procedure, I was in quite a lot of pain and the swelling still hadn't improved. My PTs were shocked that it didn't help and didn't know what else to try.

I still have swelling now and it changed from one day to the next. Sometimes it is really bad and other times, it isn't too bad.

I'm glad your patients are getting relief from your massages - thats great! I guess like everything with RSD, what helps one person wont work for another unfortunately.

I wish you the best of luck and hope your patients continue to get relief!

Alison
loretta (07-29-2009)