View Single Post
Old 07-29-2009, 05:10 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I have peripheral neuropathy. I went GF 6 years ago. I had improvement in my PN for the first 18months. My neuropathy was very painful. I had to sleep with my feet dangling off the side of the bed so nothing would touch them. I was having difficulty walking. The tingling had extended up both my legs into my trunk. My arms tingled all the way up to my shoulders. My balance was slightly off.

The tingling of my limbs is gone. My feet, although still quite numb, are not painful anymore. I don't limp and my balance is better. Recently I have noticed that I can feel temperature on the soles of my feet - this is a new change.

I don't know if my neuropathy would show improvement by the doctor tests, but I do know that my feet are not limiting what I do.

Yes, you can go GF without testing. The only caution is IF you want to find out if you have celiac disease, you would have to go back on gluten for the testing. I used Enterolab. These tests cannot tell you if you have celiac disease, but it can test for antibodies and an immune reaction to gluten. You do not have to go back on gluten if you want to use Enterolab. It is a stool test and if you have antibodies to gluten, this test will be positive up to 2 years...maybe even longer.

I was going to start a GF diet without testing, but when I found out how strict I had to be to do an honest GF trial, I wanted some proof that I really needed to do this. That is why I used Enterolab. The least expensive test would the the Antigliadin IgA for $99. I do know a number of people who have gong GF, felt better, and never looked back. It all depends on you. If you do a GF trial, make it an honest trial and get rid of all the traces and hidden sources of gluten.

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.
Anne
annelb is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote