View Single Post
Old 07-29-2009, 10:24 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Ah, okay, wondered if that's what you meant. It actually makes sense, as being in the cabin is often referred to as being "down below".

Getting off topic, but just a quick lesson if anyone ever finds themselves on a boat. If you're on a boat, and you're getting motion sick (or know you're prone to motion sickness), do not go down below. Do not go down below. Do not go down below. Do I need to say it again? Do not go down below.

My dad mates on a charter fishing boat, and there have been stories. Your instinct when you're not feeling well is to go lie down in the cabin. That's actually the worst place to be when you're motion sick. I know the captain of the boat my dad mates on will warn people, if you feel sick stay in the cockpit. You WILL feel worse down in the cabin. But people almost invariably head down below when they get seasick.

The general recommendation is to position yourself in the middle of the boat, on deck, and try to stare at the horizon. And if you have to puke, do so over the leeward side (this means the side of the boat that the wind is blowing towards, so you're puking with the wind and not against it and having it blown back at you).

Not ASD related, I know, and not plane related, but while we're on the subject of boating, I figured I'd give that little tip.
Lauren (Aspigander) is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote