Thread: RSD and Massage
View Single Post
Old 07-30-2009, 11:16 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

Hello Pete,

RSD/CRPS acts differently for all of us. Treatments that work for some of us may not work for others. No two people have the same nervous system thus the reason for how severe our case may be.

I have have full body RSD with some organ involment (9 years now). I have had many massages. Your comment about following the patients feelings is perfect. It shows you are good at your job and you have your patients needs in mind. I know by how I feel if I can tolerate the touch of a therapist. For example today my pain is awful and it's deep muscle pain and my skin burns, the shower will hurt today so it wouldn't be a good for a massage. When this flair up settles down it would be great to have a massage. It's like this from the stress I have had this week. Stress and anxiety are pain agrivators for those of us with RSD.

My therapist says over and over tell me if this is too hard. She is quick to remind me not to be afraid to tell her when it hurts. RSD is not a no pain no gain condition when talking about PT or massage. There is hot RSD and cold RSD. I have hot RSD and use ice packs to put out the flames. Some people can't tolerate ice and use heat.

For me keeping the massage as relaxing as possible is key.
Thanks, for taking the time to research RSD on behalf of your clients.
Take care,
Sherrie
SBOWLING is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
MrPete (08-04-2009)