View Single Post
Old 07-30-2009, 01:30 PM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member
Default How Does One Survive the Heat??

We have broken 118 year old records here in Washington with the extreme heat...I only use my pc when its early morning or the temp comes down to at least 85 inside, and I have a fan going to move the air around it. We are in a metal mobile home, the last 2 - 3 days its gotten to 102 in here, more of the same today I suspect.

We're working on keeping the dogs cool, I have gallon jugs in the freezer full of water.....when the temp reaches 90 inside I set a jug of frozen water in their crate....its an open wire crate, so very open on all 4 sides and top, they are a few feet from a fan, have lots of fresh water and food and I check their ears and foot pads a couple times in a 30 minutes space of time, if they are cool, or about MY body temp, they they are fine, if they get much warmer than that, a barely warm shower...the water can't be too cool or they'll go into shock....
never lay a wet towel on your animals, it'll make them hotter...I let them air dry and it helps cool them. I also have a spray bottle that I keep nothing but water in and its set on a fine mist and I spray that a couple feet over them and as the mist settles, it cools them and the air around them...but it doesn't soak them. Surprisingly they have done very little panting.

I use it on me as well....that and a fan help a lot!

Very few homes here have AC because it normally doesn't get this hot!! We lucked out and when someone removed their window unit here, it was given to us....we just got it kind of set up yesterday....its about 85 in here right now. I will be shutting down soon and spending the day in the living room. Drapes are closed and windows as well, except one bedroom window and the kitchen window to help move the air from the AC...we set it on a couple crates in front of the open front door.....we have no way of window mounting it here....hopefully we'll only need it a few days as temps will start falling again in the next week or so.

Wish us luck in this heat.....
Attached Thumbnails
How Does One Survive the Heat??-bear1-jpg   How Does One Survive the Heat??-bear2-jpg   How Does One Survive the Heat??-munchie1-jpg  

Last edited by CrystalSword; 07-30-2009 at 11:41 PM.
CrystalSword is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Kitty (07-30-2009)