View Single Post
Old 07-30-2009, 08:48 PM
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member
Senior Member (jccglutenfree)

15 yr Member

Hi ddlennnon,

I've been posting information about gluten sensitivity/celiac disease and seizures for about eight years now. I suspected my daughters seizures might be related to gluten sensitivity. Her seizures improved a great deat with vitamin B6, and later we found she has a condition called pyroluria or "high mauve"... and people with this condition often have gluten/casein sensitivity. Our story can be found at the bottom of the main page of The Gluten File, linked under my signature.

I have since met quite a few people whose seizures improved or were controlled by dietary changes and/or vitamins, especially B vitamins.

Sometimes casein or other food sensitivity can be involved as well.

I think anyone with seizures, or any neurological condition of unknown cause for that matter, should be screened for gluten sensitivity using antigliadin IgA and IgG antibodies. If there is a family history of any autoimmune disease, all the more reason to suspect gluten sensitivity. Testing for celiac disease requires additional tests.

There are over 50 references on pubmed to date about gluten and seizures, so it is a little perplexing that routine screening isn't done on seizure patients, especially those who have other risk factors.

Here are some pages from The Gluten File on diagnostic testing:
Diagnostic Testing
The Gray Zone

On seizures:
Seizures/Epilepsy

On pyroluria:
Pyroluria

Hope this helps!

Cara

jccgf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote