View Single Post
Old 07-30-2009, 09:41 PM

10 yr Member

10 yr Member

Quote:
Yeah, we talked about the different programs that were available in the town, he chose this one, and the 4 classes he takes each day:
Okay.

I had asked, because when I was growing up, there was this camp for kids with VI. Well a couple actually. I think the first time my mom sent me, I was looking forward to it. But you know, I missed being home, and of course there had to be a lot of social stuff that I just didn't 'get'. Not that there weren't fun parts, there were, but I think the awkwardness tended to outweigh that.

Well one year (maybe the second year, maybe not) I said I didn't want to go. I was sent anyway. I think I went back and forth different years whether I *wanted* to go or not (I think I knew there were fun parts so sometimes I'd want to go for those), but either way I was made to go. I remember one year asking my mom why she was doing that to me, and she said because it forces me to interact with people. Heh...yeah, I'd muddle through if someone initiated interaction with me, but it sure didn't make me seek out interaction. I was definitely the wallflower of the group.

Anyway, one year, I was wearing glasses at the time, I forgot them at home. So a day or two after I went to the camp, my mom brought them to me (if you're going to a camp for VI, and you use glasses to help with your vision, you really should have them lol). Well she came on the scene and I instantly melted down, begging her to just take me home. She of course wouldn't. I was holding onto her and I remember someone from staff had to help pull me off of my poor mom so she could leave! I calmed down when she was away, but I remember that whole event was traumatic.

Of course it was all attributed to 'homesickness', which may have played a part in it, but I think a lot of it probably had to do with all the social stuff that I didn't 'get' no matter how much I was 'forced' to interact.

So I had wondered if this was something Coley wanted to do, or if he was made to go. Sounds like he was interested in doing it and looking forward to it.

Still wouldn't surprise me though, if there were things that cropped up that he didn't know how to deal with.
Lauren (Aspigander) is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote