View Single Post
Old 07-31-2009, 06:26 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

I have been having rituxan infusions for about three or four years - actually I had one on Monday, and have another one in a week. It is a monoclonal b antibody that depletes the B cells, which is why it is helpful to me as the B cells are involved in the development of autoantibodies (I have lupus). Rituxan is a man made antibody - half mouse and half human, which has caused some problems for me as I am allergic to mice. But most people do fine with it. There are now some newer fully humanised monoclonal antibodies which I think will ultimately replace rituxan altogether and won't have the same reaction problems. Rituxan has to be run slowly, especially at first, so they can monitor for reactions. Over time, particularly if you don't react, the infusion can be run faster, especially since there is a tendency for reactions to reduce over succession infusions. Unfortunately I still have to have my infusions run very slowly so I can tolerate it - often over 24 hours.

But, rituxan has been good for me, though it has done nothing for my PN, it has helped other parts of my lupus which has been really good.

Best of luck with your infusions, most people do very well on rituxan, i have just been unlucky

regards

raglet
Raglet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote