View Single Post
Old 07-31-2009, 07:49 AM

15 yr Member

15 yr Member

hi there

I guess whether or not you can drive a regular car depends on what sort of braces you wear. I have bilateral foot drop splints and can drive an automatic car. It does take a bit of adjustment - when I first got a splint on the foot I use for the accelerator I couldn't push down very well on the accelerator and crept home from the Orthotics centre very slowly. But, it was just a matter of adjusting where I place my foot, and pivoting my foot between accelerator and brake rather than lifting is across. My other foot I don't use at all. It's not possible to move my foot across from pedal to pedal as a splinted leg won't fit under the steering wheel, which is why I just pivot from my heel.

So, I wouldn't give up on driving a car with foot controls until you have a good experiment and see if you can do it. Also, ask your OT for advice about driving, she or he will be able to tell you whether or not others can drive with the sort of braces you are being fitted with.

I know where I live we have driver assessment places that can take you out in your car and work out what if any adaptations you need. It's a good place to start. I must get a knob on my steering wheel as one of my arms is too weak to hold the wheel and keeps falling off which is really annoying.

hth

raglet
Raglet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote