View Single Post
Old 07-31-2009, 11:24 AM
Elder

15 yr Member
Elder

15 yr Member

Hi David!

There are so many variances when applying and being approved for SSDI.

First thing you should know is that approximately 95% of those applying will be denied on first round.... If this happens to you, request a reconsideration but know that approximately 95% of these are also denied.

The next step is to request a hearing before an ALJ. (At this point I suggest obtaining a lawyer for assistance. I have been told that 95% of applicants who have a lawyer for the hearing review are successful in obtaining SSDI.)

Please know that it can take months to even years before being scheduled for a hearing.

Some people are approved immediately after first applying. However, this is not the norm.

MY suggestion is that you provide as much information as you can---doctors notes, x-rays, anything you have that is medically associated with your illness/injury to Social Security. Let them sort out what they need. PLEASE provide copies to them as you will not get these back.

Receiving SSDI/SSI also depends on your age, educational background, work history, and your ability to do ANY kind of job.

It also depends on how many "work credits" that you have earned in the previous 5 to 10 years.

I see you worked at a church as the church's organist. Was this a paying position where taxes and social security tax was taken out of your pay check?

I truly wish you the best but wanted to let you know that receiving Social Security Disability can be a long, hard, and frustrating road.

Abbie

Rest in Peace
3/8/90 ~~ 4/2/12
Abbie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
"Thanks for this!" says:
Dmom3005 (09-14-2009), dtyree (07-31-2009)